This is a core and options apprenticeship. A site carpenter will normally work on a building site, or in domestic and commercial premises, preparing and fixing building components, from the initial erection of a new building, through to the installation of all necessary fixtures and fittings, as well as a range of repair and maintenance activities.
What will I learn?
During this apprenticeship, you will learn core knowledge to:
- understand how to communicate with others and comply with instructions and directions
- understand the different techniques and methods used to move, handle and store materials
- understand how to interpret and use relevant product information and specifications
- understand their responsibilities under current employment and safety legislation, such as The Health & Safety at Work Act
- understand how to calculate quantity, length, area and wastage of resources
- understand the characteristics, quality, uses, sustainability, limitations and defects associated with timber and timber-based products and components, such as hardwood, softwood, MDF and other materials.