Chemical scientists analyse and research physical aspects of chemical structure and change within substances and develop chemical techniques used in the manufacture or modification of natural substances and processed products.
- Develops experimental procedures, instruments and recording and testing systems
- Conducts experiments to identify chemical composition, energy and chemical changes in natural substances and processed materials
- Analyses results and experimental data
- Tests techniques and processes for reliability under a variety of conditions
- Develops procedures for quality control of manufactured products.
Entrants usually possess a degree. Entry may also be possible with an appropriate BTEC/SQA award, an Advanced GNVQ/GSVQ Level III, or other academic qualifications. Further specialist training is provided on the job. Some employers may expect entrants to gain professional qualifications.