Architects plan and design the construction and development of buildings and land areas with regard to functional and aesthetic requirements.
- Liaises with client and other professionals to establish building type, style, cost limitations and landscaping requirements
- Studies condition and characteristics of site, taking into account drainage, topsoil, trees, rock formations, etc.
- Analyses site survey and advises client on development and construction details and ensures that proposed design blends in with the surrounding area
- Prepares detailed scale drawings and specifications for design and construction and submits these for planning approval
- Monitors construction work in progress to ensure compliance with specifications.
Entrants require a professional qualification in architecture that will encompass an accredited degree and postgraduate qualification, and at least two years practical experience.