Animal Care Services Occupations N.e.c.
Workers in this unit group care for animals held in kennels, stables, zoos and similar establishments, provide specialised training, grooming, clipping and trimming services for animals, and searches for and captures stray or nuisance dogs in public areas and perform a variety of animal care tasks not elsewhere classified in MINOR GROUP 613: Animal Care and Control Services.
- Feeds, washes, grooms, trims and exercises animals
- Cleans animals’ quarters and renews bedding as necessary
- Houses, feeds, exercises, trains, grooms horses, dogs and other animals in preparation for entry to shows, races and other events
- Checks animals for illness, treats minor ailments or calls for vet if further treatment is required
- Meets prospective owners and advises on animal selection and animal care
- Patrols public areas to search for and capture stray or nuisance dogs, and transports captured animals to kennels.
Entry is possible without formal academic qualifications, although some employers may ask for GCSEs/S grades. There is a variety of vocational qualifications available, including NVQs/SVQs in Animal Care at Levels 1 and 2, in Dog Grooming at Levels 2 and 3, and BTEC qualifications and apprenticeships relating to Horse Care.