Ambulance Staff (excluding Paramedics)
Ambulance staff transport sick, injured and convalescent persons and give first aid treatment in emergencies.
- Helps patients into and out of ambulance
- Drives ambulance or accompanies driver to transport patients to hospitals or other treatment centres and homes
- Ascertains nature of injuries and provides first aid treatment
- Cleans and disinfects ambulance after use and carries out routine care of ambulance equipment
- Replenishes medical supplies in ambulance as necessary.
Academic qualifications are not normally required. Entry requirements vary between ambulance services. Entrants must normally have possessed a full clean driving licence for one to two years and have health clearance. Entrants undertake a minimum of 2 weeks training in first aid and patient care. Successful trainees are then attached to an ambulance station where they work under the guidance of a trained supervisor for a probationary period before working unsupervised.